Looking for a delicious and vegan-friendly savory pancake recipe? Try these simple yet delicious savory vegan potato pancakes! They're easy to make and only require a few simple ingredients.
These pancakes are hearty and filling, yet surprisingly light. It's really a simple recipe. Simply grate the potatoes, mix the other ingredients, and then fry them in a hot pan. Remove when both sides are done crispy and golden brown.
Serve with your choice of toppings, such as applesauce or vegan sour cream. And you are done with a delicious dish for your breakfast. This also makes a great appetizer.
Vegan Potato Pancakes
Vegan potato pancakes are a tasty and nutritious alternative to traditional pancakes. No need to add eggs to the pancakes. Additionally, vegan potato pancakes are easy to make with just a few ingredients, and readily available in your kitchen pantry.
It requires only flour, spices, potatoes, and some plant-based milk. For a cheesy flavor, you can also add nutritional yeast to the pancakes. Nutritional yeast also provides a good amount of protein in a plant-based diet.
Originally the recipe is made with all-purpose flour. But you can make this with other flours as well. e.g. to make these potato pancakes gluten-free you can make them with gluten-free flour like chickpea flour, and buckwheat flour. Or you can make them flour-free with just corn starch.
They are easy to cook by pan-frying, baking, or air frying. This recipe is for pan frying. But with additional points on how to make them baked in the oven or air fryer.
Also, check out other recipes on the blog -
Highlights - Vegan Potato Pancakes
easy to make
delicious in taste
takes less than 30 minutes
only 5 ingredients
can customize to gluten-free
Potatoes - Any potatoes will be good. For best results try them with yukun gold or less starchy potatoes.
Flour - All-purpose flour, corn starch
Seasonings - salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Any other seasonings if you like.
Plant-based milk - unsweetened almond milk (substitute - water)
Box Grater or Food Processor
How To Make Potato Pancakes?
Simply combine the ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and cook on a hot griddle or frying pan. Serve with dip or your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Step 1 -
Wash and clean the potatoes. No need to peel off the skin. Now Grate potatoes using a large box cheese grater. Use the thick-cut side.
Step 2 -
Now squeeze out excess water from the grated potatoes. Take a handful of potatoes and press hard or use a muslin cloth.
Step 3 -
Transfer the potatoes to a clean mixing bowl. Add flour and seasonings to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together and they will bind with the moisture of potatoes. But if it turns too dry, you may add a little almond milk or water to make the pancake mixture.
Step 4 -
Then, heat a frying pan over medium heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom. Scoop 1/4 cup of potato mixture into the pan for each pancake. Flatten the surface slightly. Flip and cook the other side also—Cook for two to three minutes per side, or until golden brown. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Vegan Potato Pancakes
- 1 lb potatoes any variety, large in size
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp spring onions/ chives finely chopped
- Wash and clean the potatoes. No need to peel off the skin.
- Now Grate potatoes using a large box cheese grater. Use the thick-cut side.
- Now squeeze out excess water from the grated potatoes.
- Take a handful of potatoes and press hard or use a muslin cloth.
- Transfer the potatoes to a clean mixing bowl.
- Add flour and seasonings to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together and they will bind with the moisture of potatoes.
- But if it turns too dry, you may add a little plant based milk or water to make the pancake mixture.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of potato mixture into the pan for each pancake.
- Flatten the surface slightly.
- Flip and cook both sides. Each side will take two to three minutes on medium heat.
- Cook until both sides are golden brown. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!