Are you wondering if greek yogurt is vegan or not? You have landed at right place here. In short, the answer is "No, Traditional Greek Yogurt is not Vegan" for some reasons of course. Let us explore the detailed facts about this.
Greek yogurt is a popular food these days, but there is some confusion about whether it is vegan or not. In this blog post, we will explore whether Greek yogurt is vegan or not and provide some tips for a vegan alternative. And also I will be sharing below how you can make your own vegan greek yogurt easily at home.
What is Greek Yogurt?
Traditional yogurt is made from milk that has been fermented with live bacteria. Greek yogurt takes this process one step further. It involves multiple straining of the traditional yogurt to make it thicker and creamier.
The milk is typically strained multiple times to remove the whey, resulting in a thicker, creamier product.
This straining process also removes many of the lactose molecules, making Greek yogurt easier to digest for people who are lactose-intolerant.
As a result, Greek yogurt has become a popular choice for health-conscious consumers.
Plain Yogurt Vs Greek Yogurt
While both Greek and plain yogurt offer health benefits, Greek yogurt has a few nutritional advantages over its less processed counterpart, plain yogurt.
- 100gm Greek yogurt has 59 Kcal, plain yogurt has 65 calorie.
- Greek yogurt is lower in sugar since the straining process removes much of the lactose. Hence this is great for lactose intolerance people.
- It's also higher in protein and offers about double the amount found in plain yogurt.
- Greek yogurt contains probiotics in higher concentration than plain yogurt. And probiotics are the live bacteria that promote gut health.
- These beneficial microbes can help with everything from immunity to weight loss.
- Greek yogurt is a good source of calcium, potassium, and magnesium, while plain yogurt generally contains less of these minerals.
So, when it comes to nutrition, Greek yogurt is the clear winner.
|Nutrients per 100gm||Plain Yogurt||Greek Yogurt|
|Carbohydrate||4.8 g (32%)||3.9 g (22%)|
Is Greek Yogurt Vegan?
Greek yogurt is technically made from cow milk (dairy product), it doesn't contain any animal products. But since the vegan lifestyle prohibits the use of anything that has animal involvement in any way refrains it from being vegan. In this way, neither cow milk nor any of the milk products are vegan by nature.
However, there are some plant-based alternatives available that are similar in taste and texture to Greek yogurt. These vegan yogurts have usually a base from soy or almond milk and contain probiotics and other healthy ingredients.
Vegan Greek Yogurt
Vegan greek yogurt is a delicious and healthier alternative to regular traditional or authentic dairy yogurt.
You can easily make this from plant-based milk, such as soy or almond milk, and is high in protein and calcium. However, coconut milk makes this creamiest ever.
Vegan greek yogurt also contains probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that help keep the gut healthy.
In addition, vegan greek yogurt is usually lower in sugar than regular yogurt, and it does not contain the hormones and antibiotics as often found in dairy products.
How to make dairy-free Greek yogurt at home?
Making vegan Greek yogurt at home is incredibly easier than I have imagined. And it's cheaper than buying it at the store as well!
All you need is non-dairy milk, such as almond or coconut milk, and a probiotic supplement. If you are not allergic to nuts, add cashew nuts as well. It gives a richer flavor and texture to the vegan dairy-free greek yogurt. Even coconut milk gives a creamier texture than other plant-based milk.
Ingredients you will need-
Coconut milk - full cream canned
Soak the cashews overnight or in hot water for 4 hrs. After that, transfer the cashews to a highspeed blender and pour in coconut milk. Blend them nicely for a smooth consistency.
Add here some starch like cornstarch, tapioca starch, or potato starch to give them a thicker consistency. However, this is totally optional though. Cashews can also makes the yogurt creamy.
Transfer the blended cashew cream to a pot. Simmer for few minutes stirring continuously and bring it to a thicker consistency. If not adding any thickener/ starch, then skip simmering step.
Once it reaches the desired consistency (thicker), remove from heat and allow to cool down completely. Then, combine the milk and probiotic in the air tight container. Then allow it to ferment for 24 - 36 hours depending on what tangyness you want in your yogurt.
Enjoy your homemade vegan Greek yogurt as is, or use it in place of dairy yogurt in any recipe.
How to store?
Transfer to any air tight glass jar and refrigerate for 2 weeks when stored properly and covered with a lid.
Vegan Greek Yogurt
- 2 Mixing bowl large
- 1 High Speed Blender
- 1 Airtight Container
- 1 Sauce pan
- 2 cups cashew nuts whole, raw
- 2 cans full cream coconut milk
- 3 - 4 tbsp tapioca starch
- 4 probiotic capsules
- Soak the cashews overnight or in hot water for 4 - 6 hrs.
- After that, transfer the cashews to a highspeed blender followed by tapioca starch coconut milk.
- Blend them nicely for a smooth consistency.
- Transfer the blended cashew cream to a pot.
- Simmer for a few minutes stirring continuously and bring it to a thicker consistency.
- Once it reaches the desired consistency (thicker), remove it from heat and allow it to cool down completely.
- Then, combine the milk and probiotic in the air-tight container.
- Then allow it to ferment for 24 - 36 hours and enjoy homemade Dairy-free Greek Yogurt.