Vegan lentil stew - healthy high protein soup for fall and winter season or perfect for any time. This is a one-pot recipe that is packed with nutrition and flavors. Let's make this delicious vegan lentil stew in less than 30 minutes.
Lentils are one of the sources of protein. This also helps to keep you full for longer. Check out more health benefits of lentils here.
Loaded with other veggies, this lentil stew is truly nutrient loaded. This is perfect for a lazy night's dinner or for a quick brunch.
Vegan Lentil Stew - Highlights
This is easy to make and requires no planning or preparation. All the ingredients you will find easily in your kitchen.
There are no fancy ingredients at all. And you can customize it with your favorite veggies or spices.
This is plant-based and gluten-free also. However, lentils are not for the keto diet and low-carb diet since they are carb-rich also.
Can be made easily on the stovetop (pot/ Dutch oven) in an instant pot.
Here I'm sharing instructions for both ways to make the lentil stew.
Which lentils are best for the stew?
Brown lentils or green lentils are with skin. So they hold up the shape even when cooked soft. They don't turn mushy completely unlike the other lentils.
However, if you love a mushy consistency, you must go ahead with red lentils that are without skin and cooks up really faster. Brown lentils or green lentils will take a little longer time than red lentils but they will not be mushy. Choose your lentil accordingly.
I prefer to make them with brown/green lentils. Check out my lentil taco meat recipe.
Ingredients You'll Need
Brown/ Green Lentils
Onions, carrots, celery, garlic
Vegetable broth/ stock
Spices/ seasonings - ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning mix (or oregano, rosemary, parsley), salt & pepper
How to make vegan lentil stew?- Instructions for stovetop & instant pot
This is an easy one-pot dish.
Heat oil in a pot/ Dutch oven. Add minced garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add diced onions, celery, carrots, and potatoes. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
Then add the lentils and spices. Stir to mix them well. Add vegetable broth and stir once.
Cover the pot with a lid and simmer on low flame for 15 - 20 minutes or till the lentils are cooked soft.
Add more stock as and if required depending on the consistency you need.
Note - 5 - 6 parts of liquid per 1 part of lentils will be okay.
In the end, when the lentils are cooked perfectly, sprinkle some fresh herbs as parsley or cilantro leaves finely chopped and drizzle some freshly squeezed lemon juice. Give a nice stir mixing all of them.
Taste the salt and adjust if required. Vegan lentil stew is ready to serve. Serve hot.
Instant Pot Lentil Stew
Start the IP Saute function. Once the pot is hot, add minced garlic and onion. Saute for 30 - 40 seconds.
Add the diced celery, carrots, and potatoes. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now add the lentils, tomatoes, and spices.
Give all a nice stir deglazing the inner pot. Add vegetable broth and make sure you deglazed the pot.
Turn off the SAUTE function. Start MANUAL PRESSURE COOK mode on high pressure. Close the LID of the instant pot turning the PRESSURE VALVE to SEALING.
Set timer for 12 minutes. Once it beeps, allow it for NPR for 7 - 8 minutes. Quick release the rest of the pressure. Turn the pressure valve and open the lid.
Give a nice stir and drizzle some lemon juice followed by finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
How to store & reheat?
You can store the leftover in the refrigerator or freeze them too. These are freezer friendly too and hence suitable for meal prep. But I love the flavor most when they are freshly made.
To store in the refrigerator, transfer the leftover to an air-tight container with a lid. This stays fresh for up to 4 - 5 days when stored in a proper container.
In the freezer, they stay good for 2 - 3 months or more. To freeze the soup, cool them completely to room temperature. Then transfer to freezer bags and store for future use. Make sure to store in batch size (single consume) so that you don't need to defrost and reheat the whole lot.
To reheat, defrost for a few hours. Then microwave them for 2 minutes with a stir after 1 minute. You can also reheat on the stovetop in a pot.
Vegan Lentil Stew (Instant Pot Lentil Stew)
- 1 large pot/ Dutch oven with lid
- 1 ladle/ spatula
- 1 knife
- 1 Chopping board
- 1 cup brown lentil or green lentil
- 1 onion diced
- 5 - 6 garlic minced/ diced
- 2 medium carrots diced 1/2 cup
- 1 large potato diced to bite size pieces
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth depending on the consistency you need
- 1 cup diced tomatoes canned or 2 medium size tomatoes + 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ - ¾ tsp cayenne pepper depending on how hot you want
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings (dried) (oregano + parsley + rosemary)
- salt to taste
- 1 - 2 tbsp fresh herbs finely chopped
- 1 - 2 tsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a pot/ Dutch oven.
- Add minced garlic and onions. saute for a minute.
- Add diced celery, carrots, and potatoes.
- Saute for 3 - 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes (canned or fresh as mentioned above in ingredient list).
- Then add the lentils, spices. Stir to mix them well. Add
- Add vegetable broth and stir once.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer on low flame for 15 - 20 minutes or till the lentils are cooked soft.
- Add more stock as and if required depending on the consistency you need.
- In the end add some fresh finely chopped parsley and a dash of lemon juice.
- Mix them well. Remove from heat.
- Lentil stew is ready to serve.
Instant Pot Lentil Stew
- Start the IP Saute function.
- Once pot is hot, add minced garlic and onion. Saute for 30 - 40 seconds.
- Add the diced celery, carrots, and potatoes. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the lentils, tomatoes, spices.
- Give all a nice stir deglazing the inner pot.
- Add vegetable broth and make sure you deglazed the pot.
- Turn off the SAUTE function.
- Start MANUAL PRESSURE COOK mode on high pressure.
- Close the LID of the instant pot turning the PRESSURE VALVE to SEALING.
- Set timer for 15 minutes.
- Once it beeps, allow it for NPR for 7 - 8 minutes. Quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Turn the pressure valve and open the lid.
- Give a nice stir and drizzle some lemon juice followed by fresh parsley or cilantro.
- If required a creamy texture, press them lightly mashing roughly.
- Stew is ready to serve.